jueves, 24 de octubre de 2013

The SAMR Model

 Have a look at this vey interesting flow chart:


It shows the different steps from substituting pen and paper for the computer to actually create learning from technology quite easy... But why isn't it like that in real life? In my opinion, teachers should attend courses where they are trained on how to use important IT tools that can help them on a daily basis as well as understand how meaningful this change can be in their lessons.
According to what Hornby says in her blog it is important to take into account several aspects before planning a class or using a tool in the class, like analyzing if the use of technology adds value, if it gives students something extra, and most important if the students will benefit from it.
In my experience, by using EDMODO, students feel the classroom is always open, they can post questions or get material at all times and, as opposed to e-mails, all the information is there for everyone. They can hand in their homework and get it back without having to wait until our next meeting. Another advantage is for students who are absent, they can check what we have covered in class and see videos we have seen in class. In a way it substitutes, but in others, the use of the tool is essential to keep us connected and on the same page.

What do you think? Do you think it is possible for Argentinean teachers to teach through computers?


2 comentarios:

  1. Very interesting Cecilia! I've just published the same picture. I think teachers as well as students can really profit from the use of technology in the classroom. However, having the right training and instruction about this seems of great importance to me! It is for this reason that I find this subject extremely interesting and useful to expand our knowledge and tools as regards multimedia use in the ESL lesson!
    Just as you do, I wander if it is really possible for teachers in Argentina to teach through computers...maybe it is but not always!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi! What you say about Edmodo is true; I agree. I haven't tried out any virtual classroom sites yet; I've only used some sites as virtual libraries, but I'm starting to see the advantages and I'll probably give it a try next year. I think that being able to follow the course anyway when you have missed a lesson (or more than one) is very important in order not to fall behind and feel discouraged.

    See you!

    ResponderEliminar